Earth Day is just a few short weeks away and we are preparing to teach our kids how to recycle and reuse (upcycle) items to reduce the amount of waste we produce. As a household of 5 (including our pup) you can imagine just how much waste we can accumulate in a week. That is why we took on a challenge and came up with this… DIY: Upcycle Deodorant Containers Into Herb Gardens. Sounds cool right? It’s because it is AND it’s totally unique. I scoured the web and couldn’t find anything like it so we hope you will enjoy this upcycle DIY!
What You Will Need to Make Upcycle Deodorant Containers Into Herb Gardens:
- Old Deodorant Containers (We used Tom’s of Maine brand since I loved the blue containers)
- Living Herbs (found these in the produce section)
How to Make Upcycle Deodorant Containers Into Herb Gardens:
- First things first, remove the labels on the outside of the deodorant container. If you find it is still a bit sticky some sticky adhesive remover or baby oil will remove the rest of the stickers.
- Remove the deodorant (if any left). You also want to remove the piece that holds the deodorant and wash the inside of the container with warm water and soap. Allow to dry.
- Now, carefully add soil into the bottom of the empty deodorant container and then place the living herb inside.
- Your herb containers are now filled and ready to display. Just pluck your fresh herbs as needed and you are on your way to a delicious dish!
As I mentioned earlier, we had a challenge to create a DIY upcycle project. We took part in the Tom’s of Maine Less Waste Challenge. As a part of the #LessWasteChallenge, we created an upcycling project featuring Tom’s of Maine Products. The product we chose (obviously) was the men’s deodorant. But did you know they have many other amazing products you can use and then reuse?
Most Target stores carry Tom’s of Maine products including 4 products exclusive to Target: Sensitive Fragrance-Free body wash and soap bar, Kid’s Gel and Toddler Value Pack. Plus, right now they have a Cartwheel offer where you can save 10% off your favorite Tom’s of Maine products! Just download the Target Cartwheel app and then add these offers to your account. Check out and BAM you saved!
The Tom’s of Maine Difference:
Did you know that Tom’s of Maine participates in the #LessWasteChallenge every day?
Their Standards for Natural:
- Sourced and derived from nature
- Simple and understandable ingredients
- Ingredient processing that supports our philosophy of human and environmental health
- Not tested on animals
Their Standards for Sustainable:
- Originating from recyclable or renewable plant-based resources
- Striving to reduce waste through recycled content, recycling, and biodegradability
- Promoting the use of sustainable growing and harvesting practices
So what are you waiting for? Pick up Tom’s of Maine products at your local Target and take part in the #LessWasteChallenge just in time for Earth Day 2017! Visit Toms of Maine’s website for more information.