I love Star Wars just about as much as my husband and son (I would say as much but my husband would fight me on that). I am so excited for the new movie this year and to prepare we are decorating our home in all things Star Wars (who am I kidding, it’s been that way for years!) so today I wanted to share with you this fun Star Wars Stitch Craft that is perfect for kids and can serve as decor for your home!
This craft is easy and fun. Your kids can help make it or you can even turn it into an activity at a Star Wars themed birthday party! It’s a great craft for hand-eye coordination and teaches your kids patience. I’ve even provided the free printable templates for this craft so go ahead and get started!
What You’ll Need to Make a Star Wars Stitch Craft:
- 5.5 x 8.5 Inch Foam Sheets (red, black & white)
- Embroidery Floss (green, yellow & black)
- Plastic Canvas Needles
- Punch Tool (I used a bead reamer but you could use a nail, wooden skewer or anything sharp and pointed)
- Template (you get them HERE and HERE)
- Foam Board or Empty Box (as a base when punching holes)
How to Make A Star Wars Stitch Craft:
- Place your 5×8 foam sheet on top of your foam board or empty box.
- Print out your templates (links are above) and place your template on top of your 5×8 foam sheet.
- Using your bead reamer, wooden skewer or nail, punch several small holes along the outside edge and highlights of your template. Be sure to punch hard enough to make it all the way through your 5×8 foam sheet.
- Cut a manageable length of colored embroidery floss for your child to work with.
- Use tape to bind one end of the floss as shown. This will make it easy for your child to thread the plastic needle.
- Have your child tie a knot on the other end of the floss securing the needle to the floss as shown.
- Start your craft by threading the needle from the back of the 5×8 foam sheet. The tape will act as a stopper on the back of the foam sheet.
- Change thread color out for your child as needed.
- Repeat the process for the second and third template and foam sheet.
- You can place these in frames, place them on the fridge or even tape them to the walls!