Our household goes through A LOT milk each week. My 5 year old son prefers milk over any drink (including the sugary ones), my 1 year old son was started on milk a few weeks ago, and my husband and I both drink milk in the morning with breakfast. It’s amazing to think that I have won at parenting when it comes to drinks in our home but did you know that the majority of children in America are not getting enough milk in their daily diet? A lot of it comes down to the other beverage choices available but I think that if parent’s were educated and knew how good milk was for their children, they would be more likely to serve it to them daily.
So today I’ve partnered with Milk Life to bring you 10 Amazing Facts About Milk that you may not know about! So let’s get started!
10 Amazing Facts About Milk
- Pack on that protein. One 8 ounce glass of milk contains 8 grams of protein! Exactly why you may hear of body builders drinking milk before working out.
- Get 9 essential nutrients in each glass. Calcium, Vitamin D, Potassium, Vitamin B12, Vitamin A, Protein, Phosporus, Riboflavin, and Niacin are what you get from milk. Water and Juice (not to mention soda and sugary drinks) cannot even compare.
- Gives strong bones and teeth. So this is pretty commonly known, because milk contains Calcium but you may not know exactly how much. Again 1 glass of milk contains 300 mg of Calcium. It would take 7 cups of raw broccoli or 10 cups of raw spinach to get as much calcium as you get in just one 8 oz. glass of milk. Now that is a lot of greens!
- Helps up your daily water intake. You may not think milk adding to your overall intake of water but it does. In fact, milk is made up of 85% – 95% of water and the rest is all of those great nutrients our bodies need.
- One of the most affordable beverages. You head to the grocery store and have a variety of options some ranging from $4.00 a bottle for a tiny carton of juice. Opt to buy milk! Milk on average is about $0.25 per glass which means it’s one of the most affordable ways to give your kids the nutrients they need.
- Milk is a safer option. We live in a world full of processed food and never know what is in it. With milk, it goes from the farm, to a dairy plant, to the store making it one of the safest foods to buy.
- No added sugar baby! Milk doesn’t contain any added sugar. The sugar in milk is actually naturally occurring. Not something that you will find in Almond milk which usually has added sugar to improve the taste of it.
- Helps you fight off that extra weight. You know how you are cutting calories, avoiding junk food, and still get that slim figure you want? Well it could be as easy as having a glass of milk each day. Milk contains only 80 calories per cup and in many research studies, it was found that people who included high amounts of dairy (at least the recommended three servings) while on a calorie-restricted diet lost, on average, an additional 2.8 pounds overall. Here is some great information on that.
- Helps you become taller. So I got the short end of the stick in my family perhaps I didn’t get enough milk. Wondering what I am talking about? Well, bones continue to grow to their peak bone mass until around age 18 for women and age 20 for men, according to the National Institutes of Health, and they could keep growing through your twenties. That means even as teen or young adult, you need milk!
- Milk is irreplaceable. With the goodness milk provides including so many nutrients, it’s no surprise that it is hard to match or even replace it. Milk is milk and while there are other options out there to promise to *try* to hold up to milk’s standards, science proves they just can’t. So stick with milk whether it’s plain, chocolatey, or even strawberry flavored. It’s still your best option.
Want to learn more about the goodness of milk?
Milk Life and Milk Truth are both amazing websites featuring all sorts of information about milk. They even have facts, recipes, videos and so much more so make sure you visit and learn all you can about milk.
Milk Life wants to spread the goodness of milk around by giving 2 lucky readers free milk for an entire month! This is a $18 value!
Simply enter using the rafflecopter widget below. The comment is necessary to enter and once that is complete, the rest of the entry options will open on the widget. Giveaway ends 9/23/15. Good Luck!