Lemons are great for cooking but their citrus is pretty powerful which makes Lemons great for many other uses as well! Below is 25 Uses for Lemons that you may have not heard of before. Next time you have a Lemon don’t forget to try a few of these!
25 Uses for Lemons
- Deodorize your Garbage– Simply cut and save the peel of a Lemon. Place the peels under the bag of your garbage can and replace every few weeks. It works great in diaper pails too!
- Sanitize Your Home– Have you noticed how many cleaning products contain Lemon? The citrus acts as a sanitizing agent. Simply cut a piece of Lemon and rub on the area you are wanting to sanitize, wait about 10 minutes, and wipe or rise off.
- Fix a Toothache– Next time your teeth are bothering you swish some lemon juice around in your mouth for a few minutes. This will also help with bleeding gums and it’s natural!
- Fight Fatigue– Feeling drowsy or tired? Suck on a lemon or drink lemon water. It helps stimulate brain activity making you more alert.
- Lighten your Hair Naturally– Who needs a salon when you can lighten your hair at home? Simply mix 1/4 cup Lemon Juice to 3/4 cup water and rinse your hair in it. Sit in the sun until the mixture dries in your hair. Repeat as often and you’d like until you reach your desired shade.
- Keep Foods for Turning Brown– Next time you cut an Apple or Avocado and don’t want it to turn brown squeeze a bit of lemon juice over the exposed part and it will keep foods from turning brown.
- Deodorize Underarms– Next time you are away from your deodorant and notice you have an odor coming from your underarms simply grab a piece of lemon and rub it under each arm. The citrus absorbs the odor causing bacteria of sweat and you will smell great!
- Insect Repellent– Do you find cracks in your home where ants, spiders, and other insects are getting in? Simply spray lemon juice in the cracks, near windowsills, near door jams, baseboards, etc. and insects will turn the other way. You could even take some with you while outdoors to keep those biting bugs away.
- Whiten Your Nails– Do your nails need some brightening? Squeeze 1/2 lemon juice into 1 cup warm water. Place your fingers into the mixture for 5 minutes. Once soaked, push your cuticles back and rub a lemon peel on the base of your nail.
- Polish Chrome and Tarnished Brass– With all the Spring cleaning we all will be doing soon you might think about cleaning your brass and chrome well there is an easy way. Mix equal parts of salt and lemon juice to make a paste. Rub the paste on the area that needs sprucing up and leave it for 5 minutes. Rinse and repeat as needed.
- Deodorize a Humidifier– Over time Humidifiers can become stinky from all the water they use. Add 3-4 teaspoons of lemon juice to the water and run it as normal. It will help the odor and help sanitize the unit.
- Clean your Glass– Do you have hard water stains on your mirrors, shower doors, or even home windows? If so, simply spray lemon juice on a scrubber sponge and scrub onto the window. The hard water stains and other marks will disappear.
- Help Dandruff Disappear– Simply massage lemon juice onto your scalp. Leave it in for 5 minutes and shampoo as usual. Will help reduce the appearance of flakes which means less on your clothes.
- Clean Your Face– Dab a cotton ball into some lemon juice and then rub onto your face. The lemon juice acts as an astringent, eliminating oil and tightening pores for a smoother look.
- Treat a Sore Throat– Lemon juice works wonders on infections. Simply drink or gargle some warm water and lemon juice. It also works great on coughs when combined with honey and corn syrup. Check out my Natural Cough Suppressant Recipe.
- Relieve a Hangover– Drink too much and have a hangover? Drink warm water or tea and add some lemon juice. It helps restore the pH balance in your body and relieves a hangover much faster.
- Metabolism Booster– Lemon helps boost your metabolism. Trying putting lemon in water or in pretty much anything you drink. Try my Strawberry and Lemon Infused Water Recipe.
- Freshen your Refrigerator– Dab lemon on a cotton ball or sponge and leave in the fridge for several hours. Once removed, your fridge will smell clean and fresh.
- Get rid of Headaches– Just like with Lime you can use Lemon to get rid of headaches. Simply cut and rub a piece of lemon on the area where your headache is and feel it disappear like magic. Just be careful not to get it in your eyes.
- Get rid of Weeds in your Yard– If you have a garden and don’t want to spray weed killer around your fruits and veggies try a natural approach. Simply fill a spray bottle with lemon juice and then spray the weeds liberally. It will take a few days but you will see them shrivel and die.
- Ease Eczema Symptoms– If you have dry, itchy skin and suffer from Eczema try applying a mixture of 8 drops of lemon essential oil to 1 cup warm water and 1 tablespoon of honey. These help the inflammation and soften the skin to relieve itching.
- Brighten your Whites– Want brighter and whites clothes? Try it the non-chemical way. Simply use the same amount of lemon juice as you would detergent and watch your clothes come out and clean and smelling fresh.
- Make Rice and Pasta not Sticky– Next time you are cooking rice or pasta and it’s sticking to each other add some lemon juice to it and stir. The rice and pasta will no longer be sticky.
- Unharden Paintbrushes– Don’t throw old and hard paintbrushes away use lemon juice to fix them. Simply boil lemon juice and water. Turn the heat off and place the paintbrushes into the water for about 15 minutes. Remove from the water and let dry. They will be as good as new.
- Soften Brown Sugar– Don’t throw away rock hard brown sugar. Simply place some Lemon peels into the brown sugar and let it sit for about an hour. Your brown sugar should soften and be ready for your baking needs.
Looking for more great posts? Check out these: