Giving Back is so rewarding and if you’ve done it before you know it makes you feel so great! But did you know it can also be fun? It’s true! When our kids are young they may not entirely understand the impact giving back has on the community and that’s entirely okay. The fun memories made while giving as a family is so invaluable. So today I am partnering with Box Tops for Education to bring you 5 Ways to Make Giving Back Fun for Kids. Having fun is what they will remember now and one day they will understand how that “fun” truly made a difference.
5 Ways to Make Giving Back Fun for Kids
- Take your kids shopping with you. One of the best ways to make things fun is to allow your kids to shop until they drop. Whether you are shopping for school products to donate to your local school or shopping for toys to donate during the holidays, the experience of actually shopping and buying something to give is so fun for kids! In fact, I recently visited my local Walmart with my oldest son and I explained to my son that we were there to choose a variety of items that had Box Tops on them. I told him that would would purchase those items for our family to enjoy but then could use the box tops to donate to his school. It ended up turning into a game and soon he was helping me find all sorts of products with the Box Top logo on them. I was happy because even though I didn’t have coupons, I was able to provide for my family, stay within our budget, and give back to my son’s school. A total win in my book!
- Play a sorting game. Once you’ve collected donations you can play a sorting game with your kids. Sort items by type, color, shape, size or whatever. It will be a fun learning experience and give your children a chance to interact with the very items they are donating.
- Make crafts to go along with the donations. Sit down with your kids and let them create something from their heart. Create cards, posters, flyers, etc. All of these can do so much good and really cheer up the organization or person you are donating to. A great idea with box tops, is to make a fun box where they can place the box tops in then of course once it’s full, your child can help empty it to donate to your school.
- Let your kids be in charge. Kids truly love that feeling of independence and supervised independence now can help set them up for later in life. Consider letting them be the boss when it comes to picking out items to donate or even when it comes time to pay (of course, it would be mom and dad’s money) but it gives them a sense of accomplishment and they will love that you put your trust in their hands!
- Encourage your kids to invite their friends. It seems when our kids reach a certain age things are more fun when their friends are around. So encourage your kids to invite their friends to give right alongside them. It’s a great way to spread the selflessness and build long-lasting friendships.
I hope these 5 ways really encourage you and your family to give back within your community and show you that it truly can be fun. Programs like Box Tops for Education are amazing because they truly care about education.
Fun Facts about Box Tops for Education:
- Box Tops are worth $0.10 for your child’s school
- Box Tops is one of America’s largest school earnings loyalty programs.
- Over 80,000 K-8 schools participate
- Schools can use Box Top cash to buy whatever they need.
- Box Tops earnings are sent out twice a year to schools (in April and December).
- Box Tops for Education has contributed over $525 million to participating schools since the launch of the program in 1996. <—- That is amazing!
So make sure to support your local school by shopping for participating General Mills items. Also watch for the bonus box tops that contain 5 box tops per box available at your local Walmart! You can also learn more here.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of General Mills®. The opinions and text are all mine.