While I consider myself a frugal and budget concise person, there are several things in my life that are luxury items that I completely believe are worth the investment. One of those being, the permanent Christmas lights I recently had installed.
I live in Utah and that means that we have several months throughout the year where it’s dark, cold and everything is covered in snow.
That’s why for years I’d convince my husband to put up our Christmas lights long before the snow hit but it seemed like every year, we would spend hundreds of dollars to purchase new sets of Christmas lights that would stop lighting before the holiday season was even over.
Not only was this terrible for our environment, it was terrible for our wallets too.
What is Permanent Christmas Lighting?
Permanent Christmas lights are installed in a color-matching aluminum track and tucked away under the roofline, so your long-lasting holiday and architectural lighting system is simply not noticeable until you turn your lights on!
The system syncs with an app you use on your phone to control the color and features of your lights throughout the year. Aside from Christmas, these lights can be used for nearly any holiday or occassion.
How much do permanent outdoor lights cost?
Permanent outdoor lights costs vary depending on location and the size of your home. However, installation including the labor and supplies typically cost $1,500 – $5,000+. The average is $3,500.
When is the Best Time to Buy Permanent Christmas Lights?
Once you’ve chosen to take the plunge to buy permanent Christmas lights, it really becomes a matter of when to get your lights installed.
The best time to buy Permanent holiday lights is during the off-season which is typically January – April. Reason being, people are often looking to get lights installed closer to the holiday season in Fall. Therefore, there is more availability (time) for the installation and can reduce installation costs.
Are permanent Christmas lights worth it?
In my opinion, permanent Christmas lights are worth every penny. However, you should plan on being in your home for at least 3-5 years for the cost to be worth it.
If you are someone like me that would spend countless hours putting up and taking down Christmas lights every year plus, spending money to replace lights, the investment of permanent lighting will pay off even faster.
Utah Permanent Christmas Lighting
While I was doing research on the best company in Utah (around the Salt Lake City area) for permanent lights, I came across Astoria Lighting Co.
Not only did this company have fantastic reviews, they also had some of the best pricing around.
Side note: If you don’t live in Utah, they also have locations in Texas as well.
Astoria Lighting Co. was so great at installing my lights in just a few hours and walked me through everything I needed to know about managing my lights in the gemstone lights app on my mobile device. They have fantastic customer service and I couldn’t recommend them anymore!
Astoria Lighting Co. offers:
- 5 year bumper to bumper warranty
- Lights are rated to last for 50,000 hours
- Each puck/diode has 3 led bulbs
- Each light operates with a 23 lumens/ lamp (light), 98/ meter, 30/ feet.
- Each light and connection have an IP 65 Waterproof rating.
- The system can produce 16 million+ types of colors (you will want to play with this all the time)
- Each light can operate at -40° F to 130°+F. All connections and wires are UV rated and will be able to last if ever exposed to long periods of sunlight.
- The track is made out of a powder-coated aluminum which is durable and extremely unlikely to rust or degrade.
- Automated timer with location services that updates sunset and sunrise throughout the year (my favorite feature of all is they just automatically turn on and off)
- Google home and Alexa enabled.
- Most user friendly app on the market, 100’s of preset options
If you decide to use Astoria Lighting Co. feel free to contact them for a free estimate. You can do it on their website here. Make sure you tell them Brittanie from Simplistically Living sent you (put it under Lead Notes) and you may receive an extra discount!