Mother’s Day is just a few short days away and if you wanting to give mom something special then you should try making this DIY Mother’s Day Personalized Watering Can!
I am all for personalized and homemade gifts because I think they mean the most. They are thoughtful and made with love.
That is why I tend to make gifts and give them away myself but of course also share them all with you!
I love this personalized watering can gift because it can be customized in any way you want.
You can use different colored vinyl, different sayings, and make these for different events and celebrations. Assuming you want to make this for Mother’s Day, I am sharing how you can recreate it below. Have fun and let’s get started!
DIY Mother’s Day Personalized Watering Can
- Permanent Adhesive Outdoor Vinyl in a variety of colors (I use and love vinyl from Expressions Vinyl)
- Silhouette Cutting Machine and Tools
- Transfer Tape
- Plastic Watering Can (found at Dollar Tree or IKEA for $1.00)
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Fresh Flowers
- Start by cleaning the surface (where you are planning to apply vinyl on the watering can) with rubbing alcohol. I used an abrasive cloth for extra cleaning. Allow to dry. This step helps the vinyl adhere to the plastic better.
- Open up your silhouette studio software and load your chosen image. If you want to use the file I used (shown in the image above) you can download it here . I got permission from the creator to share it. (Note: I only can share the Mom file, the grandmother file is available for purchase in the Silhouette Studio store).
- Resize the image to around 5.7″ x 5.7″. This is the size that will fit perfectly on the front of the watering can.
- Adjust your cut settings to vinyl, adjust your cutting machine accordingly, and cut out your image with your silhouette machine.
- Weed out your image using your silhouette tools.
- Apply your transfer tape to the design and apply pressure allowing the image to be transferred to the tape.
- Align your transfer tape onto your design ensuring it’s straight before placing it down. Apple pressure to the entire design allowing it to be transferred from the transfer tape onto your watering can.
- Remove transfer tape slowly and apply pressure to the vinyl in areas where it needs it.
- Add soil and your flowers and you are done!
This is such a fun idea and can be given as a birthday gift, Mother’s Day gift, house warming gift, and so much more! Sure hope you will give it a try!
Looking for more great craft ideas? Check out more below!
Summer Tealight Votive Holders from Upcycled Baby Food Jars
“I Love You Because” Flower Pot Craft (Perfect for Mother’s Day)
Personalised Mother's Day 2022 Gifts inspired from love & intimacy - Hike n Dip
Tuesday 5th of October 2021
[…] Personalised Mother's Day Watering Can via simplisticallyliving.com […]
The Most Thoughtful Mother's Day Gifts to Make | Saving Dollars & Sense
Tuesday 6th of July 2021
[…] DIY Mother’s Day Personalized Watering Can […]
101 Mothers Day Gifts and Craft Ideas to DIY This Weekend ⋆ DIY Crafts
Saturday 29th of May 2021
[…] You can even decorate the watering cans and can transform them into amusing looking vases that will also make outstanding gifts for a Mother’s Day! Check out here the plastic watering can vase that has been personalized with silhouette cut vinyl lettering! Here the plastic can has been added with potting soil and then with fresh flowers to make a gorgeous gardening gift for a loving mom! Another great inspiration for a Mother’s Day gift! Complete project instructions and tutorial here simplisticallyliving […]
Sunday 9th of May 2021
When I tried to download this file it says that it can't be opened in the Cricut design program as it isn't an SVG. Is there somewhere I can get this file as an SVG? Thank you!
Wednesday 5th of May 2021
I can't download the image it keep going into my google drive and telling me I don't have a supported app and cricut will not recognize it.