The countdown to shark week is on…*cue the Jaws theme song* Now that I’ve got that stuck in your head, I want to share with you a fun and easy craft you can make just in time for shark week: A Shark Fin Bookmark!
So last night it was late and I wanted to make a quick and easy craft with my son. Our crafts stores were closed and I thought to myself “Hey, just rummage through your craft supplies and see what you can come up with!” So we did just that.
I ended up coming up with a fun way to encourage reading this summer through a beachy DIY bookmark. Since it’s a shark it also ties right into Shark week. My son loves these and aside from using them as bookmarks, they are just fun to play with! I am thinking they’d even be fun for a puppet show!
Note: While I used my Silhouette machine, you can certainly just cut out the design of the fin using scissors. The directions below are for using a silhouette machine.
Supplies Needed to Make A Shark Fin Bookmark:
- Piece of Gray Cardstock
- Blue Craft Stick
- Blue Glitter Glue (I got a big pack at Dollar Tree)
- Hot Glue Gun (and glue sticks)
- Silhouette Cutting Machine
- Shark Fin Image (photo credit: jpgon from Dollar Photo Club)
How to Make a Shark Fin Bookmark:
- Download the Shark Fin Image. I’ve provided it for you HERE.
- Open the image in your silhouette studio software.
- Trace the shark fin image using your tracing tool (choose trace outer edge). Delete the actual image so you just have the outline of the shark fin.
- Resize the traced image to 1.714 in. x 2.504 in. (like shown in the image above).
- Cut the image out onto your gray cardstock paper. (make sure you adjust your cutting settings to cardstock)
- Take your blue glitter glue and trace over the wavy part of the design to resemble the water.
- Hot glue the fin onto your blue craft stick.
- Allow the glitter glue to dry before using.
- Use as a bookmark or allow your child to play with it!
If you are a more “visual” person, check out the short video below on how to put these together!
Looking for another fun craft idea to make with the kids? Check out this DIY Minecraft Creeper Treat Bag!
22+ Shark Crafts for Kids - Natural Beach Living
Sunday 17th of July 2022
[…] DIY Shark Fin Bookmark from simplisticallyliving.com […]
Shark Activities Your Kids Will Love! -
Monday 11th of July 2022
[…] DIY Shark Fin Bookmark – Sinmplistically Living […]
Crafts – DIY Bookmarks – Hill City Teens
Thursday 16th of December 2021
[…] Before getting started I do want to say that the bookmarks are unique to you, so they can be as simple or elaborate as you want! The first idea, in my opinion, is extremely creative. It is a shark fin bookmark! In order to do his craft, you will need a popsicle stick, construction paper, glue, scissors, and markers. So first you want to take your paper and cut it into the shape of the fin, which is just like a curved triangle. Once that is done, take your markers and color it however you would like. After doing that, glue it to your popsicle stick. Let it dry completely (I would suggest a couple hours just to ensure it is 100% dry) and there you have it! You now have your very own shark fin bookmark! For a more detailed walkthrough and video, click here. […]
Ocean Activities for Kids That Are Easy and Fun - Budget Friendly Family
Monday 11th of October 2021
[…] Fin Bookmarks from Simplistically Living. After they’ve read their favorite shark book, kids can make these fun […]
26 Fin-Tastic Shark Crafts For Kids - Kids Love WHAT
Thursday 16th of September 2021
[…] Simplistically Living has a free shark fin image you can download and print out for making this bookmark. Resize the fin as big as you want, and add some glitter glue to the bottom for a sparkly water effect. Kids of any age can paint a craft stick — something to match the sea, or their favorite color — and glue that onto the back of the fin. It’s a simple but fun craft that can be done with very little prep or special materials. […]