Get ready to get your game face on because this DIY Dollar Tree Giant Yard Pong takes outdoor games to the next level!
Made easily using all Dollar Tree supplies, you can entertain your guests at your next backyard party on a budget.
We recently had a Summer Kick-off party with family and friends and I was trying to come up with fun outdoor yard games to play.
I contemplated buying something like ladder golf (ladder toss) but those games can cost a pretty penny.
That’s when I decided to visit my favorite dollar store, Dollar Tree and see what I could come up with.
I ended up spotting these huge buckets that remind me of huge solo cups. I decided that a DIY giant yard game was the way to go. So, I ended up creating Giant Yard Pong.
Everything ended up costing me $16.25+ tax which is far less than what I could find in-store for a premade giant yard game.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How many buckets do you need for yard pong?
For giant yard pong, you will want a total of 12 buckets. That is 6 buckets for each team that are displayed in a pyramid shape (like the image above). The first row has one cup, the second has two, and the third has three.
How far apart are cups in yard pong?
Each side of cups in yard pong are set up as far as you’d like. If playing with kids, you may want them closer in range. If playing with adults, you can set up each side 12-25 feet apart.
Where can I find a pre-made version of giant yard pong?
You can certainly find a giant yard pong game pre-made at places like Walmart, Amazon and I’ve heard at 5 below (you’d need two sets from 5 Below). However, if you want more control over the colors you choose for buckets, stick with making your own.
Where do you find the giant buckets at Dollar Tree?
The giant buckets I used for giant yard pong were found down the seasonal aisle. I found them near the summer party supplies (where the tablecloths, serving trays, and cups are). I also found some (red, white and blue colors) down the 4th of July/Patriotic aisle.
What is the size of the buckets at Dollar Tree?
I was asked this question a lot and I actually measured them. The Dollar Tree Buckets are roughly 8″ tall and have a diameter of 9.5″ so they are bigger than the ones at 5 Below.
What if I can’t find the giant buckets like you found?
If you can’t find the same giant solo cups I found, Dollar Tree has several other buckets that would work. They even have round large buckets with handles that would work well too. You could also use smaller buckets like sand buckets.
What type of balls would work for this game?
I used plastic wiffle balls but you can use any that will work. Some other ideas include water sponge balls, tennis balls, plastic baseballs and if you’re really in a rut, you can use those silicone reusable dryer balls Dollar Tree sells.
Should I put something into the bottom of my cups to keep them upright?
This is entirely up to you! When we played, we kept the cups empty and they sat fine in our lawn. If you are wanting the cups to stick together, you can use duct tape to keep them all together. Alternatively, you can fill each bucket with 1/4 water, sand or anything you’d like to weigh them down and keep them steady.
Supplies Needed to Make A Giant Yard Pong Using Dollar Tree Supplies:
Both of these items can be found in-store at your local Dollar Tree. Selection by store may vary.
How to Play Giant Yard Pong
Simply set up the giant buckets in your lawn or on your patio. Arrange them into a triangle or any shape as you desire.
Create two separate teams of 2-6 players on each team.
Take turns throwing balls to try to make it into the opposite team’s buckets. If you make it, take a drink of water (or of an alcoholic beverage if playing with adults).
You can also keep track of points and whichever team gets the most points, wins.
How to Play Giant Yard Pong with Water
Another idea is, you can fill the buckets full of ice water and play as usual.
When someone makes a ball into a bucket, you can dump the water on an opposing team member. Perfect for hot, sunny days!!
I’ve also made it easy for you and made a Free Giant Yard Pong Printable to help you remember how to play!
Reasons Why We Love This DIY:
- It is inexpensive to make (less than $20!)
- It is fun for the whole family
- It can be converted to adult giant beer pong.
- For kids, it can help with hand/eye coordination
- It is one of the funnest outdoor games that can be set up in just minutes.
Want more Dollar Tree Ideas? Check out:
- Here’s 5 Things to Never Buy at Dollar Tree According to Superfans
- The Best and Worst Days To Shop at Dollar Tree
- 7 Items at Dollar Tree To Grab Now For Your Thanksgiving Dinner
- 5 New Things at Dollar Tree That Cost Way More at Target
- Here’s 5 Dollar Tree Items That Are Worth Buying Now Ahead of The Holidays
- 5 Things at Dollar Tree That Cost Way More at Walmart
- Here’s 5 Things to Always Buy at Dollar Tree According to Superfans
- Dollar Tree Items You Should Never Buy
- Dollar Tree Items You Should Always Buy if You See Them
- Dollar Tree Grocery Items That Can Save You Hundreds of Dollars On Your Grocery Bill
- Dollar Tree Easter Basket Ideas
- Dollar Tree Beauty Products to Try
- Dollar Tree Peeps Products
- Dollar Tree is No Longer Selling Eggs
- Dollar Tree Garden Items
- Dollar Tree Clean and Natural Products
- What to Buy (and What Not to Buy) at Dollar Tree
- Dollar Tree Halloween 2023 Collection
- 12 Giant Solo Cups (buckets)
- 4 Plastic Balls
- Simply set up the giant buckets in your lawn or on your patio. Arrange them into a triangle or any shape as you desire.
- Create two separate teams of 2-4 players on each team.
- Take turns throwing balls to try to make it into the opposite team's buckets. If you make it, take a drink of water (or of an alcoholic beverage if playing with adults).
- You can also keep track of points and whichever team gets the most points, wins.