These Halloween Oreo Cupcakes are the perfect dessert to make when you’re craving something sweet. They combine rich chocolate cake, an orange Oreo creme frosting and Halloween sprinkles for a treat that will put a spell on your tastebuds.
For this recipe I used the Halloween Oreos but if you can’t find them, you can certainly use regular Oreos or any other Oreo flavor you wish.
Where can I find Halloween Oreos?
Halloween Oreos are a seasonal item. You can typically find them in all major grocery stores beginning at the end of August through October. I found my package of Halloween Oreos at Target but I’ve seen them at Walmart and Kroger as well. You can also order them online at Amazon here.
What is the best cake mix to use for cupcakes?
Personally, I like using the Duncan Hines cake mix. It’s the perfect combination of a moist and dense cake. It’s packed full of flavor and doesn’t turn out dry.
For this recipe, I used the Duncan Hines Devil’s Food Cake Mix.
How to Make Halloween Oreo Cupcakes
For the cupcake, I used a basic chocolate cake mix. Eggs, water and oil go into the cake mix to create the batter.
I then lined my cupcake pan with fun Halloween cupcake liners and filled the liners with batter about 2/3 to the top. I baked them in the oven for about 18-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center came out clean.
Orange Creme Frosting
For the frosting, I separated the Halloween Oreos and scraped the orange creme into a bowl (save the side without the creme we will use it later). I then added sugar, butter, heavy whipping cream and vanilla and beat the mixture until I reached a frosting consistency.
Chocolate Dipped Halloween Oreo Cookie
Take the Oreo cookie side without the creme and dip half of it into melted Ghirardelli milk chocolate melting wafers (heat in microwave in 30 second increments until melted. Do not burn). While the chocolate is still sticky, apple Halloween sprinkles and allow to harden.
Decorating Halloween Oreo Cupcakes
Using the orange frosting, I scooped a small amount into an ice cream scooper and place onto the top of the cupcake and spread slightly into a thick disk. I then poured Halloween sprinkles into a deep bowl and dipped the cupcake frosting into the sprinkles.
I then used the piping bag to pipe the frosting into the center. I then added carefully placed the decorated Oreo onto the side of the frosting and sprinkled on some additional Halloween sprinkles.
More Halloween Dessert Recipes
- These Jack Skellington Pudding Cups are the perfect no-bake treat for Halloween.
- Eyeball Jello Shots are creepy cool for any Halloween party
- Jello Worms are a creepy cool dessert idea
- Oogie Boogie Treat Bags are almost too cute to eat. Almost!
- These Zombie Eyeball Cupcakes are bloody delicious.
For The Cupcakes
- 1 box of Duncan Hines Classic Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
For The Orange Oreo Frosting
- 3 cups unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 16 Halloween Oreo creme
- 5-7 tablespoons. heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons. vanilla extract
For The Topping
- 2 packages of Halloween Oreos
- 1 8oz bag of Ghirardelli milk chocolate melting wafers
- 1 cup of halloween sprinkles
For The Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Fill your cupcake pan with cupcake liners and set aside.
- Combine the cake mix, eggs, water and oil until slightly lumpy.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full.
- Put in the oven and bake for 18-21 minutes.
- Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of a cupcake, it should come out clean. If they are not done, check again every three minutes until they are done.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
For The Frosting
- Remove the orange creme from 16 halloween Oreos.
- Using a standing mixer combine the butter, powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream, vanilla, Oreo creme and mix on medium speed until combined and smooth.
- Scoop 1 cup of frosting into the piping bag and set aside.
For The Halloween Oreo Cookie Topper
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Carefully separate the Oreos, use the side that has no Oreo creme.
- Using a heat safe bowl, melt the chocolate wafers until smooth. You can do this in the microwave in 30 second increments. Stir and repeat until melted.
- Dip half of cookie into the chocolate.
- Place onto the cookie sheet and sprinkle some halloween sprinkles.
- Allow to dry.
Decorating Directions :
- Using the orange frosting, scoop a small amount into the ice cream scooper (can also use a spoon) and place onto the top of the cupcake and spread slightly into a thick disk.
- Pour the Halloween sprinkles into a deep bowl and dip the top of the cupcake frosting into the sprinkles.
- Using the piping bag, pipe the frosting into the center.
- Carefully place the decorated Oreo onto the side of the frosting.
- Sprinkle some more halloween sprinkles on top.
- Serve Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 587Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 90mgSodium: 393mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 1gSugar: 50gProtein: 3g
*Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please consultant with a registered dietitian for dietary advice.