These Halloween Unicorn Cupcakes are made with boxed cake mix, homemade vanilla frosting and edible unicorn icing decorations for an easy treat to serve at your next Halloween party.
Halloween Unicorn Cupcakes
Ingredients you need to make them:
- French Vanilla cake mix (plus ingredients as listed on the back of the cake mix box) – I prefer the Duncan Hines brand
- Purple, Orange and Neon green gel food coloring
- Unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- Powdered sugar
- Heavy whipping cream
- Vanilla extract – pure is best but you can use imitation too
- Halloween sprinkles – Choose your favorite!
- Wilton Unicorn icing decorations
Tools you’ll want to have handy:
- Stand mixer – a hand mixer works too
- Muffin pan
- Halloween cupcake liners – Choose your favorite!
- Disposable piping bag
- Medium star tip
- Medium ice cream scooper
- Small bowl
How to Make Halloween Unicorn Cupcakes
Step one: Prepare your cake mix according to the directions on the box.
Step two: Prepare your muffin pan using the cupcake liners.
Step three: Divide the batter into two bowls. Color one bowl purple and the other bowl orange using the food coloring.
Step four: Alternate between the purple batter and the orange batter and scoop about 1 tablespoon of batter into the cupcake liners until ⅔ full.
Step five: Put in the oven and bake for 22 minutes.
Step six: Remove from oven and allow to cool. While waiting, prepare your frosting.
Step seven: Prepare your frosting.
Step eight: Once the cupcakes are cooled, using the ice cream scooper to scoop some frosting onto the top of the cupcake.
Step nine: Using a butterknife, lightly spread the frosting into a thick smooth disk.
Step ten: Pour the Halloween sprinkles into a small bowl and dip the entire frosting into the sprinkles.
Step eleven: Using the piping bag, pipe a dollop of frosting into the center of the cupcake.
Step twelve: Using the Unicorn Horn icing decoration, place it into the top middle of the frosting.
Step thirteen: Serve and enjoy!
Want more spooky fun Halloween cupcake recipes? Check out:
For The Cupcakes:
- 1 box French Vanilla cake mix (plus ingredients as listed on the back of the cake mix box)
- Purple gel food coloring
- Orange gel food coloring
For The Frosting:
- 3 C unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 6 C powdered sugar
- 5-7 tbsp. heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Neon Green gel food coloring
- Halloween sprinkles
For The Decoration:
- Wilton Unicorn Icing decorations
- Preheat oven per directions on the box of cake mix.
- Put the liners in the muffin pan. Set aside.
- Following the directions on the box, add ingredients into a large bowl and mix all ingredients as instructed.
- Divide the batter into two bowls.
- In one bowl, mix in a few drops of purple food coloring. In the other bowl, mix in a few drops of orange food coloring.
- Alternate between the purple batter and the orange batter and scoop about 1 tablespoon of batter into the cupcake liners until ⅔ full.
- Put in the oven and bake for 22 minutes.
- Check for doneness. (Insert a toothpick into the center of a cupcake, it should come out clean.) If they are not done, check again every three minutes until they are done.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Using a standing mixer combine the butter, powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream, vanilla, and mix on medium speed until combined and smooth.
- Mix in a few drops of neon green gel food coloring and mix until combined.
- Scoop 1 cup of frosting into the piping bag.
- Using the medium ice cream scooper, scoop some frosting onto the top of the cupcake.
- Using a butterknife, lightly spread the frosting into a thick smooth disk.
- Pour the halloween sprinkles into a small bowl and dip the entire frosting into the sprinkles.
- Using the piping bag, pipe a dollop of frosting into the center of the cupcake.
- Using the Unicorn Horn icing decoration, place it into the top middle of the frosting.
- Place 1 "Ear" on both sides of the horn.
- Serve and Enjoy!