This Homemade Holiday Potpourri is the perfect way to naturally make your home smell just like the holidays! With hints of fresh pine needles, cinnamon, orange and fresh cranberries, you’ll have a way to keep your home smelling amazing all season long!
The holidays just have a specific smell. From the fresh pine of a Christmas tree to a Cinnamon Scented Pinecones, I cannot get enough of that holiday scent!
That is why I love this Holiday Potpourri so much!
It is easy to make, natural and it smells amazing. Seriously, I simmer this potpourri all of the time!!
Aside from making it for your own home, you can make and gift it to family, friends and even neighbors. Just throw ingredients into a cute jar, use our free printable gift tag and you have the perfect holiday gift that doesn’t count more than a few dollars each!
Homemade Holiday Potpourri
How far in advance can I make these?
The answer truly depends on which ingredients you are using. If you are using fresh cranberries and fresh rosemary, I suggest making these around 3-4 days in advance but ensuring you keep the jars refrigerated.
If you are wanting to make them much further in advance, you can freeze the cranberries and use dried rosemary. You could then prepare the jars and then add the cranberries right before gifting to maintain the optimal freshness.
Do cranberries need to be refrigerated?
Technically, yes. However, often times you’ll notice that in the stores the bags of cranberries are not refrigerated. Overall, they last longer if they are refrigerated and chilled. Therefore, you should keep them chilled if possible.
How to Make Homemade Potpourri
If you are making the holiday potpourri for your own house, just throw everything into your slow cooker, Instant Pot or put it in a pan on the stovetop and let it simmer for hours.
If you are making it as a gift, put the ingredients (minus the water) in a jar or other container for gifting.
Then print out the gift tag and tie it onto the jar and decorate it however you want.
The jar is ready to gift!
This DIY Potpourri is the perfect Gift in a Jar!
Things To Note:
- Substitute dehydrated grapefruit, clementine, tangerine or lemon slices or combination for dehydrated orange slices.
- Substitute one fresh clementine for dehydrated orange slices.
- If your jar or container is larger or smaller than the amount of potpourri the recipe makes, you can simply add more or less ingredients until your container is the desired level of filled.
- This potpourri can also be heated on the stovetop if preferred, just follow slow cooker instructions and heat on low.
- Once activated store in refrigerator when not in use for 5-7 days. Reheat as desired to fill your home with a holiday scent.
- 1 cup Fresh Cranberries
- 3-4 Dehydrated Orange Slices
- 2-3 Sprigs Rosemary
- 2-3 Cinnamon Sticks
- 2-3 teaspoons Whole Cloves
- 2-3 Star Anise
- Put all above ingredients in a jar or other container for gifting.
- Print out gift tag and tie onto jar, decorate jar however desired.
- Jar is ready to gift.
- NOTE: If not gifting, just put all above ingredients into a slow cooker or pan on the stovetop and follow tag directions.