Hot Cocoa Bombs are a fun and tasty way to make homemade hot chocolate in minutes. Using just 3-ingredients, you’ll have a fun way to make homemade hot chocolate the entire family will love!
In case you didn’t know, hot cocoa bombs are all rage right now. We actually made a Grinch Hot Cocoa Bomb version that turned out really cute so we decided to make a regular version too!
People are loving this chocolate ball filled with hot cocoa and marshmallows that you drop right into a hot cup of milk and watch it melt away.
You can actually watch us melt them in our TikTok video below. They are actually quite satisfying to watch!
As soon as I saw these, I knew I had to have them but to my surprise, they were not cheap to buy. Most hot cocoa bombs are $5-$10 each!
With this hot cocoa bomb recipe, you can make a dozen for around $10 which is amazing if you ask me!
Hot Cocoa Bomb Recipe
- Chocolate chips – you can use milk, white or even dark chocolate. I prefer the Ghirardelli or Nestle brand.
- Mini Marshmallows
- Hot Cocoa Mix – I prefer the Swiss Miss or Starbucks Hot cocoa (you can use milk chocolate, dark chocolate or even white chocolate cocoa mix)
- Silicone Sphere Mold
How to Make Hot Chocolate Bombs:
Step One: Melt your chocolate chips in the microwave or use the double boiler method (be careful not to burn the chocolate).
Step Two: Use a spoon to fill each cavity of the silicone mold. You want to spoon upwards so the chocolate covers the sides.
Step Three: Stick the mold into the freezer for 15-20 minutes until the chocolate sets.
Step Four: Gently remove the chocolate from the mold by pressing gently on the backside of the mold.
Step Five: Fill one half of the chocolate with hot cocoa and mini marshmallows.
Step Six: Use a hot plate to melt each side and then stick the sides together. Use your finger to help spread the melted chocolate allowing the sides to adhere together.
Step Seven: Melt and drizzle chocolate on top.
Step Eight: Refrigerate until you are ready to use. Once ready, place into a cup and pour hot milk over it and stir. You can also stick the chocolate bomb into a warm cup of milk and stir.
Then serve and enjoy!
A Few Things To Note:
- Ensure you do not get the chocolate chips wet or the chocolate will seize and you will not be able to make these.
- The chocolate bombs need to be stored somewhere cool or they will melt.
- Avoid holding or touching the hot cocoa bombs for too long or they will melt in your hands.
- To make a hot plate, place a microwave safe plate inside the microwave for 30 seconds and check on it. If it’s hot enough, remove with a heat resistant mitten. If not, heat for another 30 seconds until hot.
- You do not need to spray the silicone mold with cooking spray, the hot cocoa bombs pop right out without any extra steps.
- You can place them inside sealed bags for gift giving.
- 1 Bag Chocolate Chips
- Hot Cocoa Mix
- Mini Marshmallows
- Melt your chocolate chips in the microwave or use the double boiler method (be careful not to burn the chocolate). If you are using the microwave, heat in a microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds, stir and then repeat until all the chocolate is melted.
- Use a spoon to fill each cavity of the silicone mold. You want to spoon upwards so the chocolate covers the sides. Allow this to harden for a few minutes and repeat to fill any gaps or holes. You can also apply another layer of chocolate to make these a bit thicker.
- Stick the mold into the freezer for 15-20 minutes until the chocolate sets.
- Once hardened, gently remove the chocolate from the mold by pressing gently on the backside of the mold. The chocolate spheres will pop right out.
- Fill one half of the chocolate with about 2 teaspoons of hot cocoa and 5-6 mini marshmallows.
- Use a hot plate to melt each side of the chocolate sphere and then stick the sides together. Use your finger to go around the crease to help adhere the two sides together.
- Melt and drizzle chocolate on top (optional) but I do like the way it looks.
- Refrigerate until you are ready to use.
- Once ready to eat, place into a cup and pour hot milk over it and stir. You can also stick the chocolate bomb into a warm cup of milk and stir.
Each 8 cavity mold makes 4 hot cocoa bombs
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 84Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 38mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 11gProtein: 1g
*Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please consultant with a registered dietitian for dietary advice.