Gone are the days where you could get by with a landline. Cell phones are a must-have and if you find yourself on a tighter than tight budget and cannot afford cell phone service or even a cell phone, you have come to the right place.
I am sharing the exact step-by-step process on How to Get Free Cell Phone Service with a Free Smartphone!
How can I get a free phone with no money?
Many wireless carries offer free phones with no money upfront. They typically require you to activate a new line or add a line to your existing account. Many offer free smartphones for switching to them or incentives for upgrading your line. The cost of the phone is typically spread out over monthly bill credits.
However, if you cannot even afford the cell service, there is a government program called the Lifeline Program (which is similar to the affordable connectivity program) for low-income households that allows you to get free cell phone service and a free smartphone as long as you meet the eligibility requirements.
How to Get Free Wireless Service with A Free Smartphone from The Government
In order to receive free cell phone service with a free smartphone from the government, you must meet the eligibility requirements to qualify.
While actual requirements vary by state, in general to qualify for the free phone and service, applicants must either have an income that is at or below 135% of the federal Poverty Guidelines, or participate in one of the following government benefit programs:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Food Stamps
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8)
- Veterans and Survivors Pension Benefit
Some states have additional eligibility under the following Tribal programs:
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance (BIA)
- Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
- Tribal Head Start (only those households meeting its income qualifying standard)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
If you fall under these guidelines, the next step is to put in an application on one of the free government cell phone companies:
- Assurance Wireless
- StandUp Wireless
- Access Wireless
- Q Link Wireless
- Cintex Wireless
- Life Wireless
- Easy Wireless
- enTouch Wireless
- NewPhone Wireless
- Safelink Wireless (this one seems to be very popular)
- SafetyNet Wireless
- Tag Mobile
- Tempo Wireless
- Terracom Wireless
- US Cellular
- AirTalk Wireless
- Infiniti Mobile
- Copper Valley Telecom
If you qualify as an eligible household, you will receive notification about your approved application status for the Lifeline service. Plus, you will receive a free smartphone with these benefits:
- Unlimited Talk & Text
- Free Unlimited Data
- Up to 10GB of Hotspot Data**
- Voicemail/Caller ID/3-way Calling
- 911 Access
- 411 Directory Assistance at No Additional Cost
- Nationwide Coverage on America’s Best Networks
Keep in mind that there is a limit of one free cell phone with cell service per household (not per person).
So, if you or someone you know is looking for a free phone plan, this government program is a great way to get free service and a free mobile phone.