Although it seems that gas prices have dropped since the cold weather has rolled in, Gas can still be one of those things you feel like you are wasting money on. Since many of you will be traveling this holiday season I wanted to let you in on my personal secret on how I save while purchasing gas.
My Secret- I Buy Gift Cards and Use them to purchase gas!
Your probably thinking ok, why? Well it’s simple. I purchase Gift Cards at places that have rewards for making those purchases. I then redeem those rewards on gas. My personal favorite is Smith’s. I use my Smith’s Reward card, purchase a gift card, and head to the pump. When I purchase gift cards I earn reward points and those points help me earn money off each gallon of gas. Plus right now Smith’s is doing 4x Reward Points (excludes Smiths and Kroger owned gift cards) so I can earn up to $2.00 off per gallon through December 31st!
Here is how it breaks down:
- 100 Rewards points = 10¢ off per gallon of fuel for 1 fill-up at Smith’s or at Shell.
- 200 Rewards points = 20¢ off per gallon of fuel for 1 fill-up at Smith’s or at Shell.
- 1,000 Rewards points = $1.00 off per gallon of fuel for 1 fill-up at Smith’s or at Shell.
- 1,500 Rewards points = $1.50 off per gallon of fuel for 1 fill-up at Smith’s or at Shell. Valid till December 31, 2012
- 2,000 Rewards points = $2.00 off per gallon of fuel for 1 fill-up at Smith’s or at Shell. Valid till December 31, 2012
For example: If I buy a $25 Shell Gift Card I will earn 50 points. For every $1 I spend in the store I earn 1 point. It doesn’t take long to reach 100 points to earn 10¢ off per gallon.
You don’t only have to purchase Shell Gift Cards they have a gift card center that has gift cards to tons of retailers. Just purchase your gift card using your rewards card and BAM! you have a discount on gas! Be sure to check your local stores details and program guidelines. I know there are other Grocery Stores that participate in programs like these but some require minimum purchases to earn fuel discounts.
Note: Shell is also partnered with Smith’s and Kroger Affiliated stores so you can use your reward points there as well. For complete details head over and check out Smith’s Fuel Reward program or see your local Kroger store for complete details. It may also take a few hours for points to accumulate and discount to be applied. The Smith’s rewards program is Free to sign-up for.
What Ways Do You Save on Gas? Feel free to leave your tips in the comment section.