This Instant Pot Popcorn Recipe is an easy way to make movie theater popcorn at home without a microwave or stove. It can be made in a matter of minutes and tastes delicious!
I have to admit, nothing beats homemade popcorn. Yes, I know it’s easy and convenient to cook microwave popcorn but did you know those aren’t actually good for you? They are loaded with all sorts of chemicals and fillers.
The beauty of this recipe is that you can customize it with all sorts of flavors and add-ins so you can make a different popcorn flavor every time.
So, the next time you’re craving (really good) homemade popcorn, give this Popcorn in the Instant Pot a try!
Instant Pot Popcorn
Ingredients you will need:
Set your pot on saute and immediately place the oil inside your instant pot.
Allow the oil to heat up for about 2 minutes, or until your instant pot displays the word “hot” before placing your popcorn kernels in the pot.
Pour your popcorn kernels into the instant pot and stir for about 1 minute before putting a lid on the top you can see through.
In about 2-3 minutes of heating while covered, you will start to hear the popcorn kernels popping.
Let it pop for about 5 minutes or until most of the kernels have popped.
Serve and enjoy!
- You’ll want to be able to see your popcorn kernels to ensure they’re not burning after a couple minutes of popping. If you don’t have a glass lid, you’ll want to check every once in a while, under the lid.
- If your popcorn kernels are older, they may not seem stale to you, but older kernels will not pop well, if at all, in the instant pot. Use fresh kernels.
- I used avocado oil, which resulted in some luscious popcorn. However, you can use any oil you have on hand.
- To get a more even pop, after every minute of popping, stir the popcorn or shake your instant pot to move around the popcorn. Unpopped kernels like to sometimes rest on already popped popcorn, which results in them not getting enough heat to pop. Moving the popcorn around helps these unpopped kernels get better heat.
- If you want buttery popcorn, you can add 2 tablespoons of butter with the oil. Once it’s melted, you can add your popcorn kernels.
Can you flavor popcorn before popping?
Yes! If you want to change the flavor of your popcorn, simply add in any oil or butter of your choosing and coat the popcorn kernels in your chosen seasoning prior to adding to the instant pot.
What is the best oil for popping popcorn?
Avocado oil or Canola oil is best for popping popcorn.
Is Instant Pot Popcorn healthy?
Instant Pot popcorn is healthier than traditional popcorns. For starters, you aren’t needing a microwave. Plus, you can control exactly what you put in your popcorn. For an even healthier popcorn, use coconut oil in your recipe.
- ½ Cup Popcorn Kernels
- 2 Tablespoons Avocado Oil
- Set your pot on saute and immediately place the oil inside your instant pot.
- Allow the oil to heat up for about 2 minutes, or until your instant pot displays the word “hot” before placing your popcorn kernels in the pot.
- Pour your popcorn kernels into the instant pot and stir for about 1 minute before putting a lid on the top you can see through.
- In about 2-3 minutes of heating while covered, you will start to hear the popcorn kernels popping.
- Let it pop for about 5 minutes or until most of the kernels have popped.
- Serve and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 132Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 15mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
*Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please consult with a registered dietitian for dietary advice.