February is National Cherry Month so I thought it would be a perfect time to introduce some yummy cherry recipes on the site. These Maraschino Cherry Cupcakes are divine and you must give them a try!
Although it may not seem like it Cherries do offer several health benefits. Cherries are loaded with antioxidants. They also help fight many diseases such as cancer, reduce inflammation, and can help battle insomnia. So next time you are craving something sweet give a handful of Cherries a try! Better yet, give these Maraschino Cherry Cupcakes a try!
Maraschino Cherry Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 jar (10 oz) maraschino cherries, drained, liquid reserved
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- ½ cup maraschino cherry liquid
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons almond extract (you can use vanilla as a substitute if you are allergic to almonds)
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- pink food coloring (optional)
For the Homemade Frosting:
- Reserved 1 tablespoon maraschino cherry liquid
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Directions for Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line regular-size muffin cups with paper baking cups; set aside.
- Wash and finely chop cherries. Place in a paper-towel-lined bowl to drain while preparing you are preparing the batter.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt, set aside. In another bowl, beat butter and sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.
- In a small bowl, stir together ½ cup cherry liquid, the milk and 2 teaspoons almond extract.
- Beginning and ending with flour mixture, alternately add flour mixture and cherry mixture to butter mixture, beating well after each addition. If desired, stir in a few drops of food coloring until desired pink color is achieved.
- Gently fold in stiffly beaten egg whites and chopped cherries until well blended.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups, filling each about ¾ full.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until cupcakes spring back when lightly touched in center.
- Remove from muffin cups to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
Directions for Frosting:
- Combine butter, sugar and salt in a bowl. Beat until blended.
- Add the milk, vanilla and cherry liquid and beat for an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until you reach a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Pipe frosting onto cupcakes and garnish each with 1 cherry with stem.