How many times have you started to make cookies and realized you’re missing a really important ingredient? Of course for me, this happens after I have already started putting the ingredients together. So I can either waste ingredients or find something to use in it’s place. This time, I was making Oatmeal Craisin Cookies with some quick oats and dried cranberries I had on hand.
Halfway through my ingredients, I realized I was all out of eggs. A quick Google search let me know that I could replace one egg with 1/4 cup applesauce. Did you know that? It was news to me! Luckily, I had an apple sauce pouch in my pantry.
Oatmeal Craisin Cookies with No Eggs
Makes about 16 medium sized cookies
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix butter, sugars, applesauce and vanilla extract until combined.
- Mix the dry ingredients separately. Make sure to completely mix the flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a separate bowl. Side Note: Sometimes I skip this step when I am being lazy in the kitchen, but it really makes a difference with this recipe. The cookies will turn out dry if you don’t mix the flour and the oats together first.
- Combine the wet ingredients and the dry ingredients, a little bit at a time.
- Add in the dried cranberries last.
- Loosely mound the dough with a large spoon and drop onto a parchment lined baking sheet. You can also roll the dough into small balls. Another side note: Parchment paper is optional, but it makes clean up super easy! If you don’t use parchment paper, you may want to grease the cookie sheet first.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes and let cool on a wire rack.
These cookies did not last long at my house! I actually had to make the recipe 3 times before I got a chance to take pictures of the cookies. They were a hit and you would never guess I made them without any eggs.
I hope you enjoy these cookies!