The best part about summer is the smell of a freshly lit fire pit and roasting marshmallows over an open fire. To make S’mores of course! Sometimes when the craving for S’mores strikes, it’s an inconvenient time to build a fire. That is when these Simple S’mores Bars are the answer!
I don’t know about you but I feel like S’mores is one of the most full-proof recipes to make. It’s REALLY hard to mess up on making them.
But if you ask my husband, he has a different story to tell. You see, he is very particular in the way he makes his S’mores. So much in fact, I’ve stopped trying to make them and allow him to do his thing.
I’m in charge of buying the graham crackers, chocolate and marshmallows and he’s in charge of putting it all together.
So, when we made this recipe, I had to have his input especially since it was such a different way to make them.
We first started with our favorite graham crackers. I really like the Honey Maid brand. I’ve found that store brands seem to be a bit more soft and I really like the crunch of the graham crackers (it’s all about consistency!).
To crush the graham crackers, we just took about 4 crackers at a time and placed them into a large ziplock bag. We then used our rolling pin on top to crush the crackers into small pieces. If you really want to skip this step, you can buy pre-crushed graham crackers at the store.
We then added the butter, brown sugar and egg. If you also wanted to have a peanut butter taste, you could add some Peanut Butter or even Sun Butter if you have allergies in your home. In case you haven’t tried Sun Butter, it tastes just like Peanut Butter. My tip is to buy the one that says “Natural” on the front and NOT the one that says “Creamy”. You would think Natural would mean chunky and creamy would mean smooth but it’s actually the exact opposite.
This steps basically ends up being the “crust”.
Once you’ve lined your baking pan with parchment paper, you’ll press in the mixture from above.
Then you just add your chocolate chips and mini marshmallows as toppings. You can also add in a little more of the mixture from above so the batter basically cooks around the toppings and you get nice evenly filled bars.
Doesn’t that just make you want to lick your screen? Please don’t do that lol, and just make these.
These will be the perfect BBQ treat and they are so easy and inexpensive to make!
Check out the recipe below and I hope you enjoy!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cup mini marshmallows (or enough to cover your pan)
- 1 cup chocolate chips (or enough to cover your pan)
- Parchment Paper
- Square Baking Pan
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, mix together flour, graham cracker crumbs, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, egg, and brown sugar until evenly mixed. Gradually beat in dry mixture until smooth.
- Line a square pan with parchment paper, and then pour all but ½ cup of your batter into the pan, pressing to the bottom to make a “sheet” of batter.
- Top with a layer of chocolate chips, then marshmallows.
- With your hands, toss in small chunks of remaining batter randomly around your pan, and then press in.
- Ake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until marshmallow is golden brown.
- Cool slightly before cutting into squares.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 3090 Total Fat: 122g Saturated Fat: 67g Cholesterol: 208mg Sodium: 1368mg Carbohydrates: 470g Sugar: 283g Protein: 37g