I am getting so excited for summer and all the barbecues I have planned. I wanted something that would help decorate my patio and provide light in the evening. These Summer Tealight Votive Holders do the trick and they are upcycled from baby food jars!
Ever since my son starting eating solids I have kept baby food jars hoping I could use them later. After pondering on it for awhile I decided tealight votive holders was the way to go. I didn’t want to keep the lids with the baby logos on it, and I also wanted to dress them up a bit. So with a little spray paint and DCWV scrapbook paper, I decided to make them summer themed so I can add them to my patio and enjoy them in the warm summer evenings. The best part is, I am reducing waste by finding a new purpose for an item most would mark trash.
Now you can certainly make these in a variety of ways but it will require a few steps. Check out the tutorial below to learn how to make your own tealight votive holders from upcycled baby food jars!
Summer Tealight Votive Holders from Upcycled Baby Food Jars
Supplies needed to spray paint the lids:
- Rust-Oleum Professional High Performance Enamel Spray Paint (I used silver)
- Empty Baby Food Jars
Supplies needed to cover the baby food jars:
- DCWV Scrapbook Paper
- Spray Adhesive or Crafting Glue
- Silhouette Electronic Cutting Machine
- Tealight Candles
- Put your gloves on and place the baby food jar lids onto a piece of cardboard or on a surface you do not want to get spray paint on.
- Spray the lids with the spray paint in short bursts. I highly recommend you do this outside in a well ventilated area.
- Allow the lids to dry for 15 minutes then apply a second coat. Repeat until the lids are completely covered.
- Once the baby food jar lids are covered, you will want to remove the labels on the baby food jars. They are pretty easy to remove and if you have a sticky residue left, goo gone will do the trick.
- Open your silhouette studio software and create a label using the retangular shape function. I made mine 1.512 inch wide by 8.006 inch long and it fit around the 6 oz baby food jars just fine.
- Cut using the cardstock settings and remove the cut label from your scrapbook sheet of paper.
- Spray a tiny bit of adhesive directly onto the baby food jar.
- Place the paper label on the area you spray or applied the adhesive/glue.
- Wrap the label around the baby good jar and spray again at the end and place the end of the label on. This will ensure the label stays stuck to the jar.
- Place a votive inside and your tealight votive holders are ready for use! Enjoy!