When you want something totally tubular and perfect for a dude (or dudette) then you know nothing is better than connecting with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles! Just in time for the new movie release, we made this adorable Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Whoopie Pies. So easy, green, and tasty – your kids will love them!
What You Will Need to Make Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Whoopie Pies:
For the cookies:
- 2 (8.25 oz) pouches Funfetti vibrant green cake mix
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Filling:
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon butter- softened
- 1/2 cup solid shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- 2 Tablespoons hot water
- 3-4 drops food gel in red, blue, orange and purple
- 24-30 Wilton candy eyes -small
How to Make Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Whoopie Pies:
For the cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Pour the cake mix into a large mixing bowl. Add the baking powder and stir to mix well.
- Add the eggs, oil and vanilla to cake mix and stir until well incorporated.
- Chill the cookie dough for 15-20 minutes for easier handling.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and place on the cookie sheet at least 2 inches apart.
- Using the bottom of a glass, flatten each cookie slightly.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to completely cool.
For the filling:
- In a large mixing bowl, add the powdered sugar, butter, shortening, milk, hot water, vanilla and salt.
- With an electric mixer on low speed, mix all ingredients until well incorporated. Increase the speed to medium high and mix until light and fluffy (1-2 minutes).
- Divide the icing into 4 small mixing bowls. Add 3-4 drops of each food coloring in the bowls. Mix well.
- Line a cookie sheet with wax paper and place 1/2 of the cookies on it with the bottom of the cookies facing up.
- Spread 2-3 Tablespoons of the colored icing on top of each cookie. To make it easier, try using a spatula to spread evenly. Top with the underside of the remaining cookies.
- Gently press 2 candy eyes into each ninja turtle cookie.
- Serve and ENJOY!