Valentine Unicorn Cake is the perfect homemade Valentine’s Day treat. It is layered with pink and red vanilla cake and topped with homemade vanilla frosting.
If you are looking to stay within your budget this Valentine’s Day but still want it to be special, this unicorn cake is the answer!
Valentine Unicorn Cake
Here is what you’ll need to make this layered unicorn cake:
- White Cake Mix
- Egg Whites
- Canola Oil
- Red and Pink Food Coloring (I like the gel kind)
- Powdered Sugar
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Vanilla Extract
- Piping Bag with Star Tip
- 9-Inch Round Cake Pans
- 10-Inch Cake Board
- Mixing Bowls
- Unicorn Decorating Kit
How to Make A Valentine Unicorn Cake
If you can bake a cake according to directions, layer them and frost them, you can make this cake!
Start by making the cake batter according to the directions below and then separate the batter into 3 bowls (one white, one pink and one red). You will color the pink and red batter by using the gel food coloring.
Alternate the colors you pour into the cake pans and bake for 28-30 minutes.
Make the homemade frosting in the meantime and add to a piping bag.
How to Decorate A Valentine Unicorn Cake
Once the cakes have cooled, you can start assembling the cake by stacking the cakes and putting a layer of the white frosting in between.
Make sure to frost the entire cake once you’ve added the last layer so it’s entirely frosted in white frosting.
Decorate the cake using the piping bag with a star tip to create “hair” for the unicorn using the 3-different colors of frosting (white, red and pink). You will add all of these into the same bag like shown below.
Add the final touches using the Unicorn decorating kit and place in the fridge to cool prior to serving. The one on Amazon is around $7 and includes the ears, horn and eyes for the cake. You can also make your own from fondant and sugar paper if you’d like.
Want more Unicorn Themed Fun? Check out our Unicorn Dip, Unicorn Easter Eggs and Unicorn Cinnamon Rolls.
Cake Batter Ingredients:
- 2 boxes of white cake mix
- 8 large egg whites
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 cup canola oil
- Red and pink gel food coloring
Vanilla Frosting Ingredients:
- 3 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 5 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Red and Pink gel food coloring
- Colored Frosting
- Unicorn Decorating Kit
Cake Mix Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray cake pans with pam baking spray.
- Using a hand mixer and large bowl, beat all cake ingredients until combined and smooth.
- Divide the cake batter into two bowls.
- Mix in a few drops of red food coloring into one bowl and mix in a few drops of pink food coloring into the second bowl.
- Alternate the batters by scooping in ¼ cup of colored batter into each cake pan on top of each other to create a tye dye effect.
- Place into the oven and bake for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Using a standing mixer, beat all ingredients except for the colors until combined and smooth but stiff with peaks.
- Scoop 1 cup of frosting into each of the two medium bowls.
- Mix in a few drops of pink gel food coloring into one of the bowls with the 1 cup of frosting. Then mix in a few drops of red gel food coloring into the second bowl with the other 1 cup of frosting (you should then have a white, pink and red colored frosting).
- Place one cake layer onto the cake board and cut the dome off the cake to make an even layer. Repeat step with other two layers of cake.
- Scoop 1 cup of white frosting into 1 side of the large piping bag.
- Scoop the red and pink frosting into the large piping bag and set aside.
- Scoop 1 cup of white frosting onto the bottom layer and spread evenly then place the second cake layer on top and spread evenly 1 more cup of frosting.
- Place the last layer of cake on top and use the remaining white frosting and frost entire cake.
- Using the piping bag, start piping the “Hair” for the unicorn on the top and around one side of the cake to create a “Mane”.
- Place the horn, ears and eyes onto the cake.
- Place into the fridge to harden the frosting before enjoying!
- Serve and enjoy!
Depending on how large you cut the pieces, this serves about 12 generous slices of cake.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 874Total Fat: 69gSaturated Fat: 32gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 34gCholesterol: 129mgSodium: 94mgCarbohydrates: 65gFiber: 0gSugar: 61gProtein: 4g