This time of the year has me thinking of zombies, witches, goals, and creepy crawlers. Of course that means I am busy crafting and baking away with my boys to celebrate the season. Our latest creation was these Zombie Eyeball Cupcakes. They look disgusting but they are totally edible, including the eyeball!
These cupcakes are extremely easy to make. So easy in fact, your little one’s will be able to help! Did I mention that the cupcakes are also entirely homemade? YUM! Hope you enjoy making them as much as we did!
Supplies Needed to Make Zombie Eyeball Cupcakes:
- 1 2/3 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 egg whites, room temp
- 3 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Cupcake liners
- Piping Bag and Piping Tips (I used a large rounded tip with a large opening)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Red food gel
- Gummy eye ball candy (found in Halloween section)
How to Make Zombie Eyeball Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake tins with paper liners.
- Add flour, sugar, baking soda and baking powder together in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk ingredients.
- Mix the wet ingredients together on medium speed until mixed.
- Add to the dry ingredients, the butter, egg whites, vanilla, sour cream and milk. Mix on medium speed mixing only until just blended.
- Fill cupcake liners a little more than 3/4’s way.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the cupcake pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove to cooling rack to finish cooling about 30 minutes.
- Frost the cupcakes using the large frosting tip and homemade vanilla frosting.
- Add red gel on top of the white frosting, the messier the better. You can even allow it to drip down the sides of the frosting.
- Place an eyeball on the top.
- Serve and enjoy!