The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing aloud for all to hear and these Buddy The Elf Shots will give you the courage to do just that! Made with just 3 simple ingredients, these mini maple shots will be the perfect addition to any holiday party!
My husband and I are huge fans of the movie Elf starring Will Ferrell so when we were brainstorming ideas, I knew we had to make a maple syrup shot in Buddy’s honor and not to toot my own horn or anything, but I think we nailed it! After all, syrup is one of the elves 4 main food groups…
This elf shot is easy to make and will put you in the Christmas spirit. It is perfect for any holiday celebration, especially one that involves Buddy The Elf!
Speaking of, if you like the movie Elf as we much as we do, give our Buddy The Elf Cupcakes a try too!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Easy to make – These homemade elf shots are easy to make and require just 3 ingredients.
- These are tasty – If you like rum and coke with a dash of sweetness from the maple, you will love the taste of these.
- The perfect movie night treat – You can make these to enjoy while watching the movie Elf.
- Perfect for a Christmas themed party– These Elf-inspired shots will be a huge hit at any holiday party.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I store leftovers?
Store any leftover shots in the fridge. Due to the carbonation of the soda, you’ll want to consume these within 24 hours or so to prevent the soda from going flat.
How many shots does this recipe make?
The recipe below makes 5 of the 1.7-ounce shots using the exact bottles I used.
How many ounces are the maple syrup bottles you used?
Each mini maple syrup bottle holds 1.7 ounces of liquid.
What substitutions and additions can I make?
- You can use any type of brown/light amber colored alcohol you’d like.
- You can use clear alcohol (think vodka, tequila, white rum) and add a drop or two of yellow food coloring and/or red food coloring to give it that amber color.
- You can use diet soda or Coke Zero if you are watching your calories.
- You can use zero sugar syrup if you’d like as well.
Buddy The Elf Shots Ingredients:
- Maple syrup – We used Costco’s pure maple syrup but you can use any kind you want (I recommend pure maple syrup as it’s less sugary)
- Rum- We used Mahina Rum from Hawaii but any amber colored rum will work
- Coke – You can use the bottled or canned Coke
- Mini Glass Bottles that look like Maple Syrup Bottles
- Cricut Machine
- Red Permanent Vinyl – Permanent will last through handwashing these bottles with soap and water.
- Small funnel or syringe to fill the shot bottles
How to Make Buddy The Elf Shots
For the glass syrup bottles, I created my own maple leaf images to use and then cut the symbol out using my Cricut machine and red permanent vinyl. I then placed the stickers on the front of each bottle.
If you want to make them the same way I did, I made the maple leaf image here. I then imported it into my Cricut studio software and resized it to 1.21 x 1.31 inches and it fit perfectly on the front of the bottles. You can get the Free Maple Leaf Cricut Design File I Made Here.
Another option is, you can purchase premade maple leaf vinyl stickers to use too.
Once the bottles are made, you simple add all of the ingredients into a cocktail shaker, mix and then pour into the maple syrup-looking bottles. It’s pretty easy to make!
- 1 oz Maple syrup
- 2 oz Rum (amber colored rum)
- 1/2 Can (6 oz) Coke
- Start by making your bottles. Use your Cricut to cut out the Maple Leaves onto vinyl and then place the vinyl sticker onto the front of each bottle.
- Add all of the cocktail ingredients into a cup or cocktail shaker and stir well (do not shake as the carbonation can cause the cocktail shaker to explode everywhere).
- Use a small funnel or syringe to fill each maple syrup bottle with the cocktail.
- Chill in the fridge or serve at room temperature.
- Serve and Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 40Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 0g
*Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please consult with a registered dietitian for dietary advice. You may read our Nutritional Disclaimer here: https://www.simplisticallyliving.com/nutritional-disclaimer/