Looking for a fun and easy activity to do with your kids? This homemade playdough recipe without cream of tartar is the perfect activity!
This easy playdough recipe uses simple ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen, and it only takes a few minutes to prepare.
In just minutes, your kids will have the perfect squishy, soft and moldable homemade playdough that will entertain them for hours!
Making your own playdough is a great way to spend quality time with your children while also stimulating their creativity and imagination. It’s a great sensory play that gets them away from the electronics.
Not only is it a fun and educational activity for kids, it’s also a great stress reliever for adults.
So, say goodbye to store-bought play dough and hello to this simple, affordable, and non-toxic homemade version that your family will love.
Want more fun activities to do with the kids? Check out this Light Fury Slime, Pokemon Pokeball Squishy and Rainbow Rice Sensory Bin.
Homemade Playdough Ingredients
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is homemade playdough better?
Homemade playdough is better than store bought playdough for many reasons. Homemade playdough is made with more natural, non-toxic ingredients. It is also cheaper (since you can make it in bulk), it is often softer and even smells so much better.
How long does homemade playdough last?
If you properly store homemade playdough, it will last up to 3 months and stay soft and ready to play with, for a long time.
How can I make my homemade playdough smell better?
If you prefer to make your homemade playdough scented, I suggest using essential oils. Make sure the oils you choose are considered “skin safe” as your child will be rubbing this playdough against their skin during play. If you are using essential oils, be sure to mix a few drops with the oil before adding to the flour (this helps dilute the essential oil).
What kind of flour do I use in homemade playdough?
I like using all-purpose flour.
Is this homemade playdough edible?
No. Since you are not heat treating the flour prior to making this homemade playdough, it would not be safe to consume as untreated flour contains bacteria. If you do plan to allow your child to eat this, ensure you heat treat the flour before making the playdough. Also ensure any scents/additives you are using, are safe to eat.
Can I use regular food coloring?
Yes. You can certainly use regular food coloring. However, because it is water-based, you may notice that the more food dye you add, the wetter the consistency will be. You may need to add additional flour to make a perfect consistency and avoid a sticky mess. I will also add, gel food coloring makes more vivid colors so that’s why I prefer it.
Homemade Playdough Scents
If you are planning on making your homemade playdough scented, here are a few kid-friendly scent ideas:
- Cinnamon (this also pairs well with orange or clove)
How to Play with Homemade Playdough
This DIY playdough recipe is so soft, squishy and fun to play with.
Just like store-bought stuff, this simple playdough recipe can be molded using cookie cutters and playdough accessories and tools.
Benefits of Playing with Playdough
Playdough is a fun activity for kids and there are many benefits for playing with playdough.
Playdough is a great non-electronic activity that is great for sensory play, imaginative play, fine motor skills, and hand-eye coordination.
Playdough also fits great in little hands and is a great way young children can spend time being creative.
How to Store Homemade Playdough So It Lasts for Months
Just like any playdough, once you are done playing, playdough should always be stored in an air-tight container. This can be a plastic cup or bowl with a lid or a ziploc baggie. Ensure all air is released from the baggie before sealing.
- If the dough feels a little tacky, just sprinkle on a teaspoon more flour until the desired consistency is reached.
- Mixing the food coloring in the water helps to really even the color out in the dough. It really speeds the process up. If not, kneading time will go up about x4. Makes a more even color tone as well.
- A great place to store this dough is in ziplock baggies or containers with airtight lids.
- If stored correctly, this playdough lasts a long time.
- I noticed after storing it for the first night, it needed a touch more flour as it seemed to get tackier, but was perfect after that.
- Any oil is fine to use.
- I would use gel colors to achieve brighter playdough colors.
- The key to this homemade playdough is to KNEAD, KNEAD, KNEAD.
How to Make Homemade Playdough Without Cream of Tartar
Mix together the salt and flour in a mixing bowl.
Add the food coloring to the water and mix them well. Then add the colored mixture to the flour mixture, along with the oil.
Stir together the ingredients (hands work very well for this). Keep mixing, folding, and kneading the dough until it reaches playdough consistency!
Repeat the steps above to make a few more colors.
Play and enjoy!
Homemade Playdough Without Cream of Tartar
How to make easy homemade playdough without cream of tartar and using just 5 ingredients!
- 1 Cup Flour
- ½ Cup Salt
- ½ Cup Water
- 2 tsp Vegetable Oil
- ½ tsp Food Coloring
- Mix together the salt and flour in a mixing bowl.
- Add the food coloring to the water and mix them well. Then add the colored mixture to the flour mixture, along with the oil.
- Stir together the ingredients (hands work very well for this). Keep mixing, folding, and kneading the dough until it reaches playdough consistency!
- Repeat the steps above to make a few more colors.
- Play and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.