The Grinch is a mean one. He doesn’t like Christmas nor does he like cookies. And that is ENTIRELY OKAY. Because, that means more cookies for you and me! SCORE! So let’s whip a batch of Crinkly, Cranky, Grinch Cookies in his honor and devour them! Sound good? I think so too!
Is all the Christmas joy including the music getting you down?
You can drown out the sound by baking a batch of these!
But before you do, you might be wondering, do you have to make the red hearts too? Nope, not at all. In fact, since I made this recipe, I found you can just buy your own red heart candies and use them in the cookies instead. That will help get these made faster – no sharing required!
You can find the red heart candies on Amazon here.
Should you wish to continue baking the cookies how I originally made them, continue below. If you end up using the red heart candies, just skip the royal icing ingredients and steps.
What You Will Need to Make Grinch Cookies:
Grinch Cookie Ingredients:
- 1 Box Vanilla Cake Mix
- 1 Stick Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
- 2 Eggs, Room Temperature
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Cup Corn Starch
- Green Gel Food Coloring
- Parchment Paper
Grinch Cookie Royal Icing Ingredients (to make the red hearts):
- 2 Egg Whites
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- Red Gel Food Coloring
- #2 Tip
- Pastry Bag
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add powdered sugar and corn starch together in a loaf pan. Mix well.
- Mix the butter, cake mix, oil and eggs together. (the batter will be thick).
- Stir green food coloring to get the Grinch green (I used about 5 drops).
- Using a small ice cream scoop get a chunk of dough then roll it into the powdered sugar/corn starch mixture.
- Pick up the dough and roll into a ball and place on cookie sheet.
- Place the cookie balls 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until they puff up.
- Cool on the cookie sheet for several minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to completely cool.
Tip: Some have expressed that the cookies have not turned out correctly. Many factors come into play such as elevation, different ovens used, etc. So, you will need to adjust ingredients and cooking time according to other similar cookie recipes you may have made.
Royal Icing Directions:
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl mixing on medium speed for 4 minutes. (except your food coloring) Note: If icing is not stiff enough add 1/4 Cup powdered sugar.
- Spoon the icing into a bowl.
- Add several drops of red gel food coloring in the large bowl of icing and stir well to mix the color.
- Spoon the red icing into a piping bag with a #2 tip.
- Line a cookie sheet with wax paper.
- Free hand draw the tiny red hearts or if needed trace the hearts to the underside of the wax paper to copy with the red icing.
- Allow to dry for 5-10 hours.
- Cut the wax paper surrounding the hearts into small squares then peel the wax paper away from the back of the heart.
- Place the small heart in the bottom of the cookie. If you need it to stick, you can use a bit of the royal icing to “glue” it to the cookie.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Looking for another Grinch Recipe? Check out this Grinch Punch that been shared and repinned many times!