Sometimes the best way to eat your veggies is in a sauce. This Homemade Spinach Pesto is certainly healthy but so delicious your taste buds won’t think of it as a bland vegetable.
I’ll be honest I am not a huge fan of vegetables. I don’t think they have much taste to them and they are quite bland. Yes, I know they are good for you which is why I really try to incorporate them into our dinner’s every day. But who is to say I can’t get creative with it and turn that boring vegetable in a tasty dish? Challenge accepted!
For this recipe, I combined one of the better tasting vegetables spinach and delicious homemade pesto to make a creamy and healthy sauce to drizzle over a whole wheat pasta. You can also use this as a salad dressing or even as a dip!
I sure hope you will give it a try!
Supplies Needed to Make Homemade Spinach Pesto:
- 3 cups of baby spinach
- ⅓ cup of roasted pine nuts
- 1 Tbsp of lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp of parmesan cheese
- Salt to taste
How to Make Homemade Spinach Pesto:
- In a food processor add the spinach, pine nuts, garlic and lemon juice. Pulse until finely chopped. While it’s still running add the olive oil and process until it’s smooth. Add the cheese and salt and quickly pulse one last time.
- Store in a glass jar in the fridge for about 5 days or freeze in ice cube tray and thaw when needed.
- Serve with some hot pasta, over grilled salmon or use on a pizza instead of tomato sauce. The possibilities are endless.
You can even then use it to make this homemade spinach pesto pasta! Oh yum!
Looking for more great recipes? Check out more below!